Mold is a common type of fungus that reproduces through the release of spores that it propels into the air. It holds a highly important function in nature, which is to help decompose trees and other types of plant matter. But it requires quite a bit of moisture to survive. So it is only found in places where there is heavy rainfall or poor soil drainage. Unfortunately, it can get inside houses too, especially basements and HVAC systems that hold a high amount of moisture. This is problematic because many people can develop serious health problems from breathing in the spores that the mold releases into the air. That is why it is crucial that homeowners and renters are able to identify the signs and symptoms of mold sickness.
Information. Out of all of the types of mold that can affect a person’s health, stachybotrys chartarum, which is commonly called black mold, is considered to be one of the most toxic and dangerous. Each year, it causes thousands of dollars in damages to homes that can only be repaired by professionals who have to wear special protective suits in order to handle it. The majority of the cost is due to the necessity of removing and replacing all of the affected building materials that it grows on though.